Bought in July 2012 by former Dragon’s Den investor, Theo Paphitis, Robert Dyas has a long and fascinating history spanning over 140 years.
From the innovative to the everyday, you’ll find everything you need for your home & garden, from cleaning solutions and kitchen essentials to the latest DIY gadgets and gardening must-haves.
The extensive selection of products range from some of the world’s most famous brands through to exciting start-ups. The common factor between them all is that their products share the Robert Dyas ethos for being innovative, practical and designed to last.
The 93 stores and Robert Dyas website are supported by a Retail Support Centre in Wimbledon, the Distribution Centre in Hemel Hempstead and the Customer Support Centre in Crewe. Job Opportunity
This is an exciting opportunity for a commercially minded management accountant who wants to help improve the performance of a finance function and accelerate their career in a growing, fast paced retail business. You will be responsible for ensuring accurate timely budget, forecast planning, reporting and analysis of financial figures for Robert Dyas. Job Purpose
Reporting to the Finance Director in regards to all financial and accounting activities of Robert Dyas. Management Accounting
Budgeting & Forecasting
- Assistance with month end accounting process, from compiling and posting accruals and prepayments to the timely and accurate production of the Profit and Loss Account, Balance Sheet statements and commentary for inclusion in the Board pack.
- Business Partnering with key departments across the business; E-commerce, Distribution Centre, Marketing, HR, IT, Group and other Head Office departments. This will include building relationships with budget holders including monthly meetings to review costs
- Monitor and review balance sheet reconciliations
- Oversight and involvement in the annual external audit process
- Play a key role in assisting with the annual budgeting process including the preparation of the Head Office cost centre budgets and the Balance Sheet, Cash Flow and Capex schedules.
- Develop relationships with function heads to obtain their input into the financial planning and reporting process and to provide ad hoc and pro-active reporting to them as required.
- Assist in the production of P&L forecasts for Stores and Head Office costs and their input into Strategic plans for the Board.
- Oversee and manage treasury activities including preparation of daily & weekly cash flow forecast and monitoring of cash availability and needs
Skills and Attributes Required
- Assist developing technical knowledge of junior members of the team
- To undertake any other ad hoc duties in order to support the Finance Department and relating to other areas of the business as requested and required
- Qualified accountant with strong financial and management accounting skills.
- Ideally have experience of the retail/leisure sector.
- Previous experience of Sun and Vision would be advantageous.
- High level of spreadsheet modelling ability essential (eg lookup functions, pivot tables).
- Good communication skills with the confidence and credibility to interact with senior management.
- Ability to work to tight timescales whilst maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Quick thinking and decisive, high energy and a passion for retail
- First class, robust organisational skills with an ability to see things through to completion in a challenging environment
- A positive, ‘can do’ approach, one that seeks continual improvement but also a team player
- Highly adaptable and pragmatic but able to ‘stand their ground’ effectively and professionally when required
- Very strong attention to detail
- Resilient, focused, able to operate under pressure and enjoy a fast paced environment
- Understands that the customer is at the centre of everything Robert Dyas do but Robert Dyas will only be successful if colleagues have the right attitude, as well as the right skills, and are well managed and trained